SunMed to Acquire Respiratory and Anesthesia Consumables Business of Vyaire Medical
Wednesday, March 29, 2023
SunMed, a leading North American manufacturer and distributor of consumable medical devices for anesthesia and respiratory care, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement with Vyaire Medical (“Vyaire”), under which SunMed will acquire Vyaire’s business unit that manufactures and markets respiratory and anesthesia consumables focused on airway management and operative care. The combined business, as a leading manufacturer wholly dedicated to this market, will be well positioned to enhance innovation, ensure reliable and predictable product supply for customers and be a one-stop source for the highest-quality consumable respiratory and anesthesia medical products to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
“This combination represents an exciting growth opportunity for SunMed that will strengthen our already robust core consumables business and further differentiate our ability to meet our customers’ needs,” said Hank Struik, CEO of SunMed. “The transaction brings together two like-minded teams who share a deep commitment to quality, reliability and continuous innovation as trusted partners to healthcare professionals. Vyaire’s respiratory and anesthesia business brings an impressive manufacturing platform, which will add to our already deep North American manufacturing presence, a strong product pipeline with some of the most trusted brands in the market and deep relationships with customers and distributors. This transaction will enable us to deliver even greater innovation, predictability and value for our customers, their practitioners and their patients – all on an expanded global basis.”
Philip Zaorski, Partner at Frazier Healthcare Partners, which acquired a majority ownership stake in SunMed in 2021, said, “The combination of these two businesses represents an important step forward in our ambition to create the leading manufacturer of consumable respiratory and anesthesia medical products. We believe there are significant opportunities for further growth and investment. We look forward to working with the combined teams to deliver on this enormous potential.”
The respiratory and anesthesia consumables business of Vyaire encompasses leading airway management and operative care technology, including AirLife™ oxygen therapy and Vital Signs™ anesthesia circuits. Vyaire brings a diversified range of high-quality, easy-to-use respiratory and anesthesia consumable products that are respected by clinicians and patients across the globe.
Compelling Strategic Benefits
- Strengthens Respiratory and Anesthesia Portfolio: This deal combines two companies that for decades have pioneered the most trusted brands and set the standard for care. SunMed’s brands include Salter Labs®, Ethox Medical™ and Ventlab™, while Vyaire’s complementary product portfolio includes premier brands with strong customer loyalty such as AirLife™ and Vital Signs™. Together, the combined suite of anesthesia and respiratory consumable products will allow the Company to provide a more comprehensive offering of products for practitioners, from first responders to hospitals and home care, with a continued focus on safety, patient comfort and clinical performance.
- Improves Supply Chain Resiliency: With the addition of Vyaire’s North American manufacturing facility for respiratory and anesthesia consumables, SunMed will have even greater proximity to customers and have the ability to mitigate disruptive supply chain environments, ensuring fast, accurate and reliable product delivery.
- Enhances Manufacturing Capabilities: As a combined company, SunMed will enhance its position as one of the most capable converters of plastic materials into high-quality, medical-grade devices with world-class molding, extrusion and assembly expertise. SunMed will have a scaled platform spanning over 250,000 square feet of manufacturing space.
- Extends Global Reach: SunMed will be positioned to serve more customers across more markets with a stronger sales presence and broader distribution network globally. The combined company will have an expanded manufacturing footprint in North America, while integrating a facility in Shenzhen, China and increasing its global presence across more than a dozen countries.
- Bolsters Engineering Sophistication: As a result of the combination, the Company will expand its industry-leading engineering capabilities focused on innovation, quality and operational excellence and increase the total number of SunMed’s engineers to more than 150 worldwide.
The proposed transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals, is expected to be completed in the first half of this year. Vyaire will continue to fully manage its consumables business and products until the transaction is finalized.
Goodwin Procter LLP is acting as legal counsel to SunMed. Jefferies is acting as financial advisor and Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP is acting as legal counsel to Vyaire.